We are reader supported. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Also, as an Amazon affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
When you think about football, towels are probably not the first thing that comes to mind. Yet, at all levels of the game, these little rags of cotton or special material are seen hanging off players even during intense play. And believe it or not, football towels are a piece of equipment, a handy tool players use to gain an advantage over opponents.
Is it easy to get quality football towels these days? The answer is unequivocally yes! With that in mind, here we took some time to research the matter and provide tips on which might be the best football towels. We even added a suggestion for a football towel for use off the gridiron!
We also try to answer the important question of why football players wear towels in the first place. What is up with the towels, anyway?
- You get a lot of quality for the pricing punch with the Nxtrnd SKL Football Towel, propelling it to the very top of our list of suggestions.
- The Battle Football Player Towel. Is simple yet quite effective, making it the top runner-up for us.
- Kids who prefer the cool logo will want to peek at the Nike Vapor Football Towel, the only big-brand towel on our list. It’s also the smallest model here..
- The Gridiron Gladiator Football Towel is our choice for players (or parents) who just want the lowest price.
- Just want something to swing over your head in front of the TV or in the stadium? Then look into the Northwest Official NFL Gameday Rally Towel.
It’s quite valid to wonder why football players wear towels at all. Young players (and the parents that support them) should note the following.
Football players wear towels on the field to keep them handy in case their fingers, hands, or other parts of their body get too wet or dirty to be effective.
In practical terms, this mainly means keeping the hands and fingers dry and clean, to better maintain control of the football.
In football, towels are a piece of sporting goods equipment, a tool to help assure the best grip on the ball ~ because doing the opposite is very bad in this game. A single drop or muffed ball can be all the difference between winning and losing games.
For this game in particular, having a towel on the body (as opposed to just being available on the bench) may be imperative. In other major sports, players can return to the bench often if they need something to care for their body. Think about baseball players between innings, and all the free timeouts!
However, many football positions, especially those who carry the ball a lot like a quarterback, running back, or wide receiver, do not always get chances to get to the bench area between plays. So they keep a towel on them, usually tucked into the top of the pants.
Then there are personal reasons for certain players. Some think a towel on the field just makes them look cool. Others might wear one as a superstition, or to show team spirit with a colorful rag.
Towels also can have messages on them which some players might wish to convey once the TV cameras zoom in close.
1. Best Football Towel for 2023 Overall ~ Nxtrnd SKL Football Towel
With all the quality, we’re impressed with the pricing range for the Nxtrnd SKL Football Towel, our top choice for many reasons. Besides the friendly price tag, we like that this item was designed specifically for football play. That means mainly that it is not heavy, can suck up a lot of moisture, and can rid that same moisture fast.
The waffle-like cotton used here is exceptional for feel; the towel comes with a hook and loop fastener to make it easy to attach to a pants’ belt; and even includes a name tag option for personalization.
- Size: 3 inches x 22 inches
- Weight: 0.63 oz.
- Material: Premium cotton
- Special Feature: Microfiber cotton dries super fast
What We Like
- Good pricing for the quality delivered
- Solid up-and-coming brand
- Neat long and thin sizing
2. Best Football Towel for 2023 Runner-Up ~ Battle Football Player Towel
Offering an option to our irregularly sized top choice, dig the simple yet effective Battle Football Player Towel. The name says more than it appears: it makes it sound like the manufacturer means business.
On the size, this model is 12 inches by 6 inches, or rectangular. Not that there’s any better size; it just matters how the player wants the thing to hang off the pants. Some like the more squarish sizes; they may just fold up for that thinner look. This model comes in several colors and styles, too.
- Size: 12 inches x 6 inches
- Weight: 3.9 oz.
- Material: Cotton
- Special Feature: Hook and loop system for attachment to the belt
What We Like
- Super-absorbent cotton
- Neatly sized
- Nicely priced
3. Best Football Towel for 2023 Runner-Up II ~ Nike Vapor Football Towel
Those who might want the brand logo like the players on television may appreciate the Nike Vapor Football Towel, the only big-brand model on our list. Of the towels on our list so far, this one comes in at the smallest, at 6 inches by 6 inches.
That size helps reduce weight, and the overall lack of bulk is something buyers have applauded in reviews. Nike chose some high-quality microfiber here, for a football towel that seems to check all the boxes.
- Size: 6 inches x 6 inches
- Weight: 1.4 oz.
- Material: Microfiber
- Special Feature: Rubber grip around edges to help with grip
What We Like
- Big-brand wow factor
- Very absorbent
- Edge element for gripping
4. Best Football Towel for 2023 on a Budget ~ Gridiron Gladiator Football Towel
The Gridiron Gladiator Football Towel is the lowest-priced on our list, and we feel that takes nothing away from the quality you get. This company’s focus is moisture control, for those who might wonder.
In marketing text the company actually points to the thickness, for those players (like linemen) who prefer it that way. An element here that stands out among most football towels is a heavy-duty belt loop of Velcro. It’s just rip and go!
- Size: 15 inches x 12 inches
- Weight: 2.89 oz.
- Material: Terry cloth cotton
- Special Feature: Secure belt loop
What We Like
- Soft terry cloth
- Thickness of cotton
5. Best Football Towel for 2023 for Off-Field ~ Northwest Official NFL Gameday Rally Towel
For those who want a football towel for use off the field, ew suggest the Northwest Official NFL Gameday Rally Towel. While NFL-branded beach or bathroom towels also are available, for this list we like the Northwest-Gameday option because it’s the most like those worn on the gridiron.
This is the only polyester towel on our list, which probably makes sense since for fans moisture absorption is not a big selling point. For these, pick your NFL team, get your towel, and swing it over your head repeatedly to show team support.
- Size: 18 inches by 15 inches
- Weight: 1.76 oz.
- Material: Polyester
- Special Feature: Kind of a different style with both a shell as well as with poly fiberfill
What We Like
- Help root for your favorite NFL team while watching games!
- A different kind of feel of the polyester
- 32 teams to choose from!
Question: Do players who rarely touch the ball use towels in football?
Answer: Yes, especially the center, the big guy on the line who starts plays by handing the ball (between his legs) to the quarterback. Also, think special teams. Kick and punt returners almost always wear a towel; or how about the field goal kick holder?
Q.: Are there any particularly special football towels?
A.: It’s probably wise to mention the Terrible Towel, the now-for-sale bright yellow rag that thousands of fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers for decades at their home games.
Q.: What if a towel falls off without the player knowing during a play?
A.: As with other player uniform equipment, it just becomes part of the field of play. That means if a player trips on it, oh well, the play stands. The only time a towel cannot be removed from the player’s body is purposely. Like, if a defender quickly rips it off and tosses it into the line of vision of the offensive player with hope of disrupting the play.