We are reader supported. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Also, as an Amazon affiliate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
Another football season approaches, and with it another period when parents and players alike wonder how they will get all the gear to and from practices and games. Nowadays, there are so many choices for football equipment bags, we dedicated time to dig deep and offer you a list of our faves.
We provide insight into what to look for when shopping for a football gear-carrying model, with fine details and explanations. We also try to give suggestions for every type of player and parent, from the very young to the very new, up to the experienced veteran football players.
Here’s to a fruitful and most successful upcoming season!
- The Wilson Sporting Goods Tackle Football Player Equipment Bag is at the top of our list, for good reasons: trust in the brand among them, plus its backpack style.
- Not far off is the Adidas Defender 4 Large Duffel Bag, with its durability and lifetime warranty ~ not to mention a well-established sporting goods manufacturer.
- Our No. 2 runner-up is the Yuihome American Football Lace Duffel Bag, which jumps out because of an exterior design emulating a huge football.
- On a budget? No problem! Check out the Champion Sports Mesh Duffle Bag, with a low pricefor a nicely sized bag that is super light on the upper body.
- For young football players we suggest looking at the KishKesh Kids Sports Duffel Bag, made of a durable and washable polyester, which parents of young players will appreciate.
- Size. Remember that football gear can grow along with players’ bodies. Older players will need more bag space to fit everything. Specialized positions like linemen or ball handlers might require extra space or pockets. It helps to know the needs of a player before shopping.
- Weight. Football bags get heavy when filled, so lighter is typically better as long as quality is not sacrificed. Some bags have heavier material on the bottom, which can be prone to scratching and even tearing over time.
- Handles. Does it have a shoulder strap, and if so, is it adjustable, or even removable? If there is no shoulder strap, how are the handles? Thick enough to handle great weights? Comfortable enough to hold for long periods?
- Material. If you live in a rainy area you might want to go with vinyl or a waterproofed material. Football gear gets drenched in sweat, and fighting odors is an ongoing matter. If you know your gear will be moist much of the time, consider finding a model with plenty of vents or air-flow openings.
- Customizable. Some bags offer features to attach player names, team names, or even gear logos to gear bags. Additionally, many football equipment bag models come in a variety of colors.
- Extras. Does it have hidden or smaller pockets for wallets or keys? Is the underside thicker or made of a waterproofed material? Can the bag be personalized in any way?
1. Best Football Gear Bag Overall ~ Wilson Sporting Goods Tackle Football Player Equipment Bag
The Wilson Sporting Goods Tackle Football Player Equipment Bag tops our list, for a variety of reasons. Besides the brand trust of a well-known manufacturer, pay attention to the backpack style of this model, which is different for this sport ~ but preferred by many.
Look how this model is specially designed to easily carry a helmet, shoulder pads, cleats, and other gear used by footballers. The devil is in the details: the shoe compartment is ventilated; the shoulder straps are padded; adjustable sternum strap in case the bag gets too heavy; and even a removable decoration panel to customize with names or logos, and Wilson backs this product with a warranty.
- Size: 26 x 12 x 2 inches
- Weight: 2.1 lbs.
- Materials: Composite
- Special Feature(s): Reflective stripes for improved night visibility
What We Like
- Stand-up backpack style
- Brand trust
- 1-year manufacturer warranty
2. Best Football Gear Bag Runner-Up ~ Adidas Defender 4 Large Duffel Bag
For some players, durability and trust are paramount, so we show the Adidas Defender 4 Large Duffel Bag. It’s hard to argue with a manufacturer who pops a lifetime warranty on a product that gets abused like this; Adidas is that confident in their materials and craftsmanship.
There are details here one might overlook easily. The material on the bottom is water-resistant. There is polyester lining inside, which avoids staining. Notice the pair of zippered end pockets, convenient for holding gear needed in a pinch; and the materials here are top-notch. There’s even a little exterior pocket to stash personal items while out on the field.
- Size: 32.5 x 15 x 13.5 inches
- Weight: 1.4 lbs.
- Materials: Polyester
- Special Feature(s): Water-resistant base material
What We Like
- Very large main compartment
- Lifetime warranty
3. Best Football Gear Bag Runner-Up II ~ Yuihome American Football Lace Duffel Bag
Be a rebel and try a new brand with sporting goods items? Then we point to the Yuihome American Football Lace Duffel Bag. Parents and players alike might love a bag that looks like a big football ~ and this barrel-bag model offers plenty more.
Complementing a large main compartment are a couple of side pockets, including 1 with an inner zipper pocket for valuables. The canvas material is plenty durable without adding too much weight, and the size is acceptable for gear for football or similar sports like soccer.
- Size: 18 x 9.5 x 9 inches
- Weight: 15.8 ounces
- Materials: Canvas
- Special Feature(s): Adjustable and detachable shoulder strap, with air-mesh padding
What We Like
- Light in weight
- Padding in shoulder strap
- Big stitches on the outside make it look like a big football!
4. Best Football Gear Bag on a Budget ~ Champion Sports Mesh Duffle Bag
Not sure whether a player will continue in football for long? Then start with this neat gear-hauler, the Champion Sports Mesh Duffle Bag. The price is right for this nicely sized bag with the see-through mesh that many players and parents might prefer.
A cool aspect of this product is, even if a player chooses not to hit the gridiron again, this product is helpful for many other reasons, like lugging laundry, using for water gear like a snorkel mask or scuba gear, or just carrying around a lot of practice balls.
- Size: 15 x 36 inches
- Weight: 14.9 oz.
- Materials: Open mesh
- Special Feature(s): Adjustable shoulder straps; open mesh to avoid odors
What We Like
- Nice price
- Quality sporting goods equipment brand
- Super light
5. Best Football Gear Bag for Young Players ~ KishKesh Kids Sports Duffel Bag
For very young football players you want to entice to keep playing, we suggest the KishKesh Kids Sports Duffel Bag. On top of being made with a durable and washable polyester, we like the light weight, and especially dig the ability to personalize with a name!
For this age, the price is excellent for an equipment bag 18 inches long. Everything needed for that little player is there: a mesh pocket for water bottles and hydration; a zip-top; and an adjustable shoulder strap to lug full bags.
- Size: 18 x 10 x 8 inches
- Weight: 10 oz.
- Materials: Polyester
- Special Feature(s): Can personalize with a name, and another line below!
What We Like
- Ability to personalize with names, team names, nicknames
- Lightweight yet plenty of space for smaller players
- Great pricing